Focused freewrite - Prompt 'A scar'
It was a curious scar, an odd curved shape, broken in the middle. I wondered what sort of accident could cause a scar in that shape. Particularly at the inner part of the elbow, how does one accidentally injure themselves there? Maybe I should stop staring and just ask. Or maybe not. I dare say the explanation is so mundane as to be remarkable purely for being so boring. Besides, how does one broach the subject? ‘Excuse me, I was staring at your scar and wondered what happened.’ Yeah, real slick. My reverie was interrupted by a gruff voice coming from the other occupant of my seat.
‘You gonna stop staring and ask?’
I flushed momentarily, but soon turned my embarrassment to anger.
‘Fine then, what happened to your arm?’
‘Well… it is a long and harrowing tale of woe. I’m afraid I’d barely be started ‘afore the journey’s over. So how’s about we find a cafĂ© when we get off and discuss it over lunch?’ He said with a cheeky grin and an amused twinkle in his eye.
I couldn’t help but laugh. ‘Sure, it’s a deal. If the story’s good enough, I’ll even foot the bill!’
‘And if it doesn’t meet your expectations m’lady, I’ll quite happily pay it, purely for the pleasure of your company.’
I laughed again. ‘Save the charm for the story-telling you smoothie!’
No comments:
Post a Comment